NEWS ROUNDUP: 50% of display ads go unseen, solving mobile monetization challenges and tips for advertisers
Summer is here, and the temperature is not the only thing on the rise. The number of mobile apps is rising precipitously, too, with Google Play and the Apple App Store each projected to host 1 million apps this year. All of this increased competition is turning up the heat on app developers who more than ever need to figure out how to monetize their apps and acquire more customers — all in a resource-efficient way. Fortunately, LifeStreet Media has a few tips to help keep app developers cool even in a red-hot hyper-competitive market.
- Reinforcing the importance of performance marketing: almost half of displays ads go unseen by potential customers. As a follow up to a February comScore report indicating that 31% of web ads are never seen by consumers, the tracking and measurement firm now reports that the real number is a shocking 46%. At LifeStreet Media, we see this finding as yet another reason to invest in performance marketing. With performance marketing, advertisers don’t pay for views or even clicks and thus don’t lose out when some of those ads go unseen or when some of the ads are clicked only as a mistake. Instead, advertisers should pay for metrics that meet the goals of their businesses – like conversions or engagement events such as game leveling or in-app purchases. With performance marketing, you can pay for what matters – and nothing else.
- Three ways to solve challenges in mobile monetization. In a VentureBeat article this month, Adam Landis from LifeStreet Media points out the difficulty mobile publishers face when trying to monetize their apps through advertising. From speaking to thousands of publishers, Landis hones in on three major challenges that contribute to low publisher payouts, and he explores how app developers can address those challenges:
- Technology fragmentation
- Self-inflicted monopolization of ad sources, and
- “Worthless” disruption.
- To avoid technology fragmentation, publishers should stick with winning platforms, and hold off on new platforms until their success is proven.
- To battle monopolization of ad sources, publishers should invest in multiple ad platforms, driving up competition for their inventory.
- Finally, while innovation is a must, smart and strategic risks are what create successful disruption instead of “worthless” disruption. While mobile advertising’s future continues to look bright, only the publishers with calculated and tailored mobile monetization strategies will win big.
While mobile advertising’s future continues to look bright, only the publishers with calculated and tailored mobile monetization strategies will win big.
3. Six simple tips to help advertisers rise above the competition. Standing out can be difficult in a competitive marketplace. Fortunately, LifeStreet Media CEO Mitchell Weisman offered six great tips in an iMediaConnection article to help advertisers rise above the competition without overspending. His tips:
- Advertisers should try a variety of customer acquisition channels.
- An advertiser’s tracking infrastructure is key to delivering actual users.
- Tracking users beyond the install reveals which users will become paying customers.
- All users are valuable, but pay the right price for each segment.
- Averages lie, so do not average customer values. Instead, look at them as granularly as possible.
- Minimize risk by paying for true customer performance.
With these tips in mind, publishers can acquire more users at profitable rates and remain successful even in the face of fierce competition.
The amazing growth in the mobile advertising ecosystem will continue to present opportunities as well as challenges for app publishers and advertisers. To address these, LifeStreet Media created a series of marketing cartoons, or “marketoons,” to highlight some of these challenges, opportunities, and even absurdities in a fun and informative way. Check back here every other week as we deliver additional marketoons for your summer enjoyment!